Palampur is set amidst the laps of the hills of the Dhauladhar range. It is situated the neat and clean town of Palampur. Located at an altitude of 1219 meters Palampur is on the Kangra Kullu road, 52 kms from Dharamshala.
Pulum, as it is pronounced in the local dialect means lots of water, and indeed Palampur has an intricate network of streams and brooks, true to its name. Palampur is a clean town with laid out tea gardens and lush green terraces, pine forests and the snow clad peaks, offering a stupendous view of the nature.
Trigarta of the ancient days, Palampur was the part of the Jalandhar Kingdom and came under British rule later. It became famous only when Dr. Jameson, Superintendent Botanical Gardens , North-West Frontier Province introduced a tea bush from Almora in 1849. Cultivation of tea Gardens and putting up tea factories since then has become a thriving business of the town.
Palampur in Himachaltoday is not only famous for its internationally acclaimed tea plantations but also for its pleasant climate and the colonial architecture that it has retained. The long calm and clean walks, the crisp air and the indo-Gothic architecture of the buildings in the town takes one to any European township.