Almora in UttarakhandAlmora is located in the northern parts of the province of Uttarakhand in India. In the east lies the district of Pithoragarh bordering Tibet and its west the district of Garhwal and its North is the newly created district of Bageshwer and in the South, there is the district Nainital.
Almora is known as the town of temples and is famous for the Nanda Devi temple situated in the center of the town. Unlike Shimla, Ranikhet and Nainital that were developed by the English, Almora is a hill station totally developed by the Indians. Almora is a town in the shape of a horseshoe. It is on a 5 km long mountain range with its own historical, cultural, and political importance. Once the capital of Kumaon, King Balo Kalyan Chand set it up in 1563. The descendants from the Kyutar dynasty and the Chand dynasty ruled here in the old times. The forts, other historical monuments, courts, and governmental offices are still present today.
The two rivers, Kaushik (Koshi) and Shalmali (Suyal) flow near the town. The snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas are visible from this place.